- Proclamation from the Governor stating that Aug 18, 2014
will be the Centennial (100th year) for the Town of Turbeville,
SC. A copy of this is on display at the Turbeville History
- 1 long banner and 26 smaller banners will be placed on Main
Street for the 100th Year Celebration when the Christmas decorations
come down in January.
- Jesse Welch has designed a 100th anniversary
T-shirts and it is on sale at Town Hall. Cost of the T-shirts
are longe sleeve $12.00 and short sleeve $10.00.
- Fill a time capsule.
- Mural of Town of Turbeville to be displayed in Town Hall,
painted by Ashleigh Knowlton.
- History and Pictures (Committee: Coordinator- Mary Frances
Coker) highlighting different aspects of life in Turbeville
and a slide show with pictures of children and community members
past and present. This display will change monthly. The displays
are in the History Center Building located on the Town Square
and can be viewed by calling Town Hall for an appointment at
- Leigh Ann Maynard and Kirby Phillips from the Manning Times
are working on a 100th Anniversary magazine. This magazine
will be a keepsake for our local residents commemorating our
Activities by month
- Story telling – video essays –No date or venue has been
set for event yet. Chris Edge will video tape anyone with
a story. The following citizens have agreed to tell stories:
Maxie Knowlton, Col. Larry Coker, Bruce Buddin, Donald Coker,
Rev. W.C. Osborne, Joe Coker, and Mrs. Harry L. Devoe. These
videos will also be on display at the History Building on
Town Square and will be shared with the schools.
- Arts/ Antique showing: Date Feb 22 from
9AM to 5PM and Feb. 23 from 2PM to 5PM at Pine Grove Gym.
Velma Floyd: Ruritan will help in setting up for the show.
Open to all local artist. Can display antiques such as quilts,farm
tools, old kitchen items, etc.
- Tent Revival – (Committee: Coordinator- Juliette Osborne;
Tent meeting be held in the town square or in a public
venue. Dates and times are Sat. March 22nd 5PM-7PM and Sun.
March 23rd 5PM-6PM. Saturday will be youth
night. The speaker for Saturday is Josh Cook and Rev. Donald
Duncan for Sunday night. Elder Willie Witherspoon, Jerome
McCrae, Tonya Byrd, Mike Coker, and Theron Scott will participate.
- Puddin Swamp Singers – at Weldon Auditorium, March 29,
2014 .Tickets will be $25 for reserved seating must be purchased
through Weldon Auditorium and $15 for open seating may be
purchased at Town Hall. These tickets will make a great Christmas
- Puddin Swamp Festival: Various events and
are Apr. 10th-12th. Thursday the 10th will be the
Taste of Turbeville with entertainment provided by the quartet,
The Plaids; Friday the 11th there will be a street dance;
and Saturday the 12th will provide rides, foods and various
gospel singing groups.
- Memorial Day, 26th - (Committee: coordinator-
Mary Frances Coker and the Turbeville Ruritan Club).
- Bluegrass/Gospel fair – Saturday June 14th, the Bluebirds
have been confirmed for this date. Any other groups wishing
to participate please call Town hall to sign up at 843-659-2781.
- Farmers market/ crafts fair – Each Saturday in June. No
fish or shellfish can be sold. Anyone interested would sign
up for a spot with town hall. Cost $5.00 per spot.